Thursday 15 July 2010

Arrival in Kampala


I arrived late yesterday evening, the journey was pretty uneventful, just lots of queuing and airline food. I got the bookings right this time so I only had to break my journey once in Amsterdam, as opposed to the Birmingham-Amsterdam-Nairobi-Entebbe gauntlet.

I am staying with my friends Sam and Abby (there house is in the picture) at the moment, so it was lovely to recieve a very homely welcome and have an excellent nights sleep. Today I have tried to go and buy a Ugandan sim card but have been thwarted by the door lock. So my inability to lock the door means I will have to wait till Sam or Abby get back from work before I can walk up to the main road to buy one.

I have lots of contacts to chase up but they almost all required phoning and liaising with people on arrival, which I am in the process of doing. I also met some people on the plane journey which I am going to keep in contact with and maybe share accommodation with at a later stage.

So thats all for now, I'll try to let you know anything interesting that comes up in my research (hopefully some of it will be interesting!). Also keep you abreast of my movements and I have completely lost track of who from IDD might be out here at the moment, so if anyone who reads this would like to use the comments section to let me know that would be great. All my movements will be around Kampala and the South-West, so probably no good for the conflict lot?

When I get to Fort Portal, I will be undertaking some work for the Rwenzori Development Foundation (RDF) of which I am a trustee and I know I pestered many of you to get involved, so I will tell you all about how that is going as well.

Finally I will try to get some photos on here as that will be far more interesting than my ramblings.

It has been very overcast all day and now it is getting really windy outside, even the dog has scarpered! I don't know what this means as it is the dry season, so though I have never been here this time of year I assume it can't rain? Also I am very intrigued by Sam (a second one) he is the son of the family that live here and look after the house and garden, about twenty minutes ago he left and came back with a radio and now he has left again with the radio and several bits of broken mirror. I am quite bored of doing my stuff so I may go and investigate?

No comments:

Post a Comment